We are occasionally requested to provide the Governing Documents of HOAs and POAs in area neighborhoods. To be valid and enforceable, all such documents are now required by South Carolina law to be filed with the county in which the association is located. In this area these filings are done with the Recorder of Deeds. Finding a document takes a little bit of work, but it's easy. Here is an example for Oconee County.

  1. Click on the Oconee County Register of Deeds web site link below (or paste it in your search bar and hit enter). You'll be taken to the Register of Deeds site.
  2. Click on Search Deeds Online.
  3. Near the top middle of the page, find the box that calls for Last/Firm Name and type in the community's name (i.e. in this example we'll use Emerald Pointe).
  4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to get the most recent dated filing. You will see that on 10/2/2018 Emerald Pointe filed its Bylaws and a short amendment to its Covenants. Always seek the most recent date to get the valid document.